Junior theme

              My paper explored the question of why there has been a re-emergence of anti-semitism in the United States. Recent news is full of stories of violence in synagogues or targeting Jewish people where they shop or celebrate, and of anti-Semitic vandalism. The recent rise in hostility against Jews is a complex issue, and in my paper, I explain how it is fueled by politicians and leaders condoning hateful conduct, the increase of advocates of white supremacy, social media that allows prejudicial messages to be broadly disseminated, and a lack of knowledge about the lessons of the Holocaust. 
             In researching my paper, it was eye-opening to learn how much anti-semitism there really is in the United States. There was a deadly shooting in a synagogue in Pittsburgh last year which got a lot of press, and which stood out because so many people were killed. Before the Pittsburgh shooting, I didn’t think anti-semitism happened in the United States. I knew what it was, and I had studied the history of Jewish people, but I had never personally seen it. I have learned now that it happens all the time, in ways that aren’t as violent and aren’t in the news. During my research, I found a tracker on the Anti-Defamation League website that lists instances of anti-Semitic conduct in the United States. As I was looking at it, I was shocked to see an entry for almost every day. Almost every day, someone, somewhere, draws a swastika in a public place, like a school, bridge, or library. It’s not something violent, but it still causes harm. Now that I understand more about anti-semitism in the United States, I’m sad and confused, and I’m interested in what can be done to stop the spread of anti-semitism. It’s an important issue, because anti-semitism not only affects Jewish people, but it spreads hate into the world, and makes everyone less safe. 

Comments